Do we – #winelover-s – live in a bubble?

article-2640446-1E3C16DE00000578-734_634x470

If you follow social media, you will find a lot of interesting things to read. And, as you can imagine, the things that I read are most wine-related… but this morning when I was reading “the news” on twitter, something struck me just like a bomb:

307984_2111151346660_1787480937_n“I live in a world of leisurely wine lunches and sumptuous dinners in a society and planet that is seemingly imploding.” -> Randall Grahm

Wow! I believe that Randall hits the nail on the head…

I’m not even in the same ball park with Randall when it comes to “leisurely wine lunches and sumptuous dinners”, but I do my share of wine events that are totally isolated from the hard reality. The one people see on TV with so many wars, crimes and poverty.

While there are bombs falling somewhere and people are getting killed, I am (and many of my friends) posting pictures of bottles of wine, food, vineyards…

So… that raises a few questions:

1. Do you believe that we – #winelover-s – live in a bubble?
  2. Do we want to be in this bubble on purpose or we don’t even realize that we are?
  3. Should we feel bad about it?

Thank you very much for taking the time to think about it!

Cheers,
LA

Luiz Alberto, #winelover ( visit our website: www.winelover.co )

Picture of the bubble by: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2640446/Living-Bubble-The-luxury-interior-designed-pod.html

, ,

14 Responses to Do we – #winelover-s – live in a bubble?

1. Filipe José Carvalho (@fjcarvalho) August 14, 2014 at 12:12 pm #

1. Most of us, yes.
    2. Some of us want to be on purpose, a lot of us are not aware of that.
    3. Yes.

• Luiz August 14, 2014 at 12:26 pm #

Thanks Filipe! I’m afraid you are right… But it’s a very hard decision to make when you’re offered the red pill or the blue pill, isn’t it? Living in a world where a “big problem” is a good bottle of wine that is corked is much easier than facing the hard reality that is out there… every single day! :(

2. Kara Sweet August 14, 2014 at 1:48 pm #

I think people can tend to live in a bubble of whatever their careers or passions revolve around, not just wine lovers. However, I think you are on to something. Now, more than ever maybe?, it is important to read and watch the news from reliable sources and be informed! Good, thought-provoking questions.

• Luiz August 14, 2014 at 2:18 pm #

Hello Kara: The problem is that sometimes there’s not enough time to “be informed”… and then we do what is easier… it’s quite comfy inside the bubble, isn’t it? :) But I agree with you. Thanks for taking the time! Cheers, Luiz

3. Annette August 14, 2014 at 2:52 pm #

Dear Luiz!

Thank you for bringing up this very interesting discussion. I am working on a comment, but I would like to take my time to think well about my words and get my thoughts in order.. Would be a great discussion for the next #winelover hangout that I had to cancel unfortunately :-( ! I hope that many #winelovers will take the time to comment on this one!

• Luiz August 14, 2014 at 3:23 pm #

Dear Annette, I hope so too… :) Waiting to see what you have to say… Cheers! L

4. Mário Negreiros August 14, 2014 at 3:39 pm #

- There is no escape. We live in a closed room (a bubble) and we paint the world and the universe on its walls.
    - Remember that the men already went to the moon.
    - And they took them rooms with them.
    (José Saramago in A história do Cerco de Lisboa – my translation… I mean, my fault).

Cheers!

5. Magnus Reuterdahl August 14, 2014 at 3:45 pm #

Let’s dubble post (this also on #winelover facebook)

Yes we do – in a way, as I think anyone does that dares to take that step and dive deeply into what you love – that gives you opportunities, lets you meet people, get into situations where you gets to try new things, to got to places and experience things you normally wouldn’t.

I’ve had wines (and food and meetings), through people I met, through friends I’ve made, that I would never have dreamed of (or maybe just dreamed of) if I hadn’t taken that step into the unknown, dared to voice my opinion as it mattered and just wnated to part of something greater than everyday house wine the I wouldn’t be in the bubble of greatness that I am.

In another way no, this comes due to hard work, to do things that other thinks is good, to make sure you meet the right people – then they will see that and they will want you to shine. I would say #winelover does that, it gives you opportunities to shine, to make connections, to live in a bubble.

Then again would you really want to leave it? Go back to binge-drinking, bag- i-box wines, Yellow tail style juice? Isn’t that a bubble too? Just a much more non-tasting bubble?

btw Graham does such good and exicting stuff that its part of that bubble of greatness!

6. Robyn Lewis VisitVineyards.com August 14, 2014 at 4:08 pm #

Hi Luiz – I think this has been going on for centuries. #Winelover s – especially those who enjoy better quality wines, and have the time for leisurely lunches etc – tend to be higher income/wealth people who are by definition somewhat removed from the struggles a lot of people face on a daily basis, and sometimes from environmental concerns also. However socialmedia is reducing the degrees of separation, fast. People are becoming a lot more aware of what is happening all over the world. The question is: what do we do now we are no longer ignorant of it?

7. Annette August 14, 2014 at 6:03 pm #

The #winelover community is so much more than talking about food and wine. It is about being interested in the unknown, being open minded, tolerant, caring, constructive, thoughtful, about the joy of learning one from another every day. We can see that more and more people start to live again in perfect harmony with nature and produce wines with a depths and soul that profoundly touches our souls. This is only one example that shows us the impact that nature has on us. Other people go hiking in the mountains or diving in the sea to feel in connection with the soul. Our’s is a peaceful, joyful and intellectually challenging passion that can teach us a lot about life it invites us to slow down, to take time to reflect and to listen to our senses. Enjoying and sharing little moments with people we have never met before, exchanging ideas and life experiences with people from all over the world and of great age difference – isn’t that truly something fantastic? Also the fact that everybody can become part of it. Really, thank you Luiz Alberto for what you have done for us so far and for being such a unique and wonderful person. I appreciated very much that you have opened this discussion and hope that more #winelovers will participate and share their thoughts with us.

8. Colleen August 14, 2014 at 7:23 pm #

The bubble we live in is Earth. We need to act like fellow Earthlings and stop letting imaginary lines and borders define our differences and come together and be kind to each other and take a page from Randall’s book and enjoy leisurely wine lunches and sumptuous dinners with our fellow Earthlings and leave the hate out of the room. Most #winelovers invite others into their bubbles to share in their wine worlds, that’s the community I’ve been fortunate enough to be a part of in the #hudsonvalley #bubbleswithoutborders <3

9. Thoughts on Design August 14, 2014 at 9:34 pm #

A very thought provoking question, Luiz. As interior designers, during most of our waking moments Sally and I live in a world where our clients are dealing with what we call First World Problems. Should the countertop be granite or quartzite? I don’t like it… Or the illogical extreme – “What do you mean my ——– (you fill in the blank) won’t be in unit next Tuesday?!!!??? My party is on Saturday!!!” It’s it’s own little bubble… For us, wine is a way/means to reconnect with ourselves, friends (New and Old) enjoy and share good conversation/thoughts/ideas over a meal or snackies – to recenter and get in touch with who we really are. Our best and favorite clients are those who recognize the privilege they live with, are thoughtful, insightful, giving of themselves to their community and world and more often than not love wine. We’re still trying to figure out the connection… Maybe the bubble is bigger and more inclusive than we think…

10. Helmut O. Knall (@wine_times_com) August 16, 2014 at 12:14 am #

If we don’t see – and react – what is left and right, we are not worth the bubbles in our glass.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks